To Be Yourself And The Rise Of Beauty-Standard - Jeje's Journal

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

To Be Yourself And The Rise Of Beauty-Standard

Photo: Behance / Aleksandra Zaborowska
It was ten o’clock on a fine Sunday morning after I finished the boarding school exams. It is supposed to be done a month ago, I’m too bad at religious things so I took remedial test. After a while, I walked into parking area while waiting my friend to finish the exams. Not so long, my friend came to me. We met bunch of girls, I stopped and doubted my eyes. Not only me, but my friend were confused too.

“Can you guess?” I laughed.

“LOL. What stuff she puts on her face?” He asked.

“It is makeup, right?” I answered.

“Girls you want go to KKN or party?” I thought to myself. We could not stop laughing at the moment. BB Cream, mascara with gold eyeshadow and winged eyeliner. Not to mention metallic lipstick and her blush on. Instead No-Makeup look it is like she did Go-To Party Makeup Look. I grabbed my phone and immediately posted it on WhatsApp story. I received a text some minutes later. The responds was various, some says it’s normal for woman to having makeup on, some just used their best arguments like “we are just human being and life is not perfect”.  I couldn’t care less, but the question is how important are appearances to you?

Our society places a great deal of pressure on women to look and act a certain way. But since girls at my university are covered with hijab. Besides skin tone, weight and body shape can be another problematic factor, thanks to K-pop culture who worship white skin. It courses through cosmetics ads, the message is the same: a person with lighter skin color is always more confident, more popular, and more successful. Along with YouTube makeup tutorials and Instagram beauty influencers, beauty-standard has exploded online. Social media puts ever more pressure on appearances, ultra-slim models like Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid. Women are expected to perform femininity and feminism at once.

However, with the use of social networking sites, this body image problem is taken to the next level. Just sit on your phones scrolling through Instagram, you do not realize the editing and fixing of the pictures people post of themselves. When you first stalk someone on their social media, you tend to notice their faces, such as their selfies, their perfect life. Then you begin to look more. You then look at yourself and wonder why you do not look like that. However, many people do not realize the thought, time, and effort put into these pictures. The millions of photos taken just to get the right shot as well as the process of editing. People will edit their photos so that it looks like they are “perfect” because that is how they want society to see them.

Chill, everyone has flaws, you do not need to worry about your 65kg weight, acne scars, or even dark skin tone. I can understand feeling that you have to have a perfect body to be likeable. You need realized that no matter how hard you tried, you would never get Gigi Hadid’s body. Everyone has a choice. Hijab or not, blonde hair or jet-black hair, light make up, weightlifting or weight gains. I understand it is tiring having to put up with your social circles, or even strangers questioning and commenting on your figure, your skin tone, and your choice of wardrobe.

As body shaming is bullying, it is never okay. It’s not okay to bully fat or skinny people. It’s not okay to bully people with fair skin or those with dark skin. It’s not okay to joke about certain race. Whatever makeup or wardrobe we choose, we don’t deserve to be shamed. We must not tolerate it.

For all woman out there. I know that trying to grow confidence in the body is not easy, please learned to embrace your own look without trying to manipulate it too much.  There are no targets, no one to impress. Love and accept your body, therefore take good care of it. People’s opinions and media depictions don’t matter because they don’t live in this body. So as long as it is healthy and you are happy, why should you go any further solely to follow what is perceived as ideal? So, if someone rejects you only because of your physical appearance, believe me, it’s their loss. Because you are so much more than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment